Police: 5 Suspects Killed In Spanish Resort Hours After Barcelona Attack

BARCELONA (CBSNEWS/AP) – Police fatally shot five people wearing fake bomb belts who staged a car attack in a seaside resort in Spain’s Catalonia region on Friday, just hours after a van plowed into pedestrians on a busy Barcelona promenade, killing at least 14 people and injuring more than 100 others.

Authorities said the back-to-back vehicle attacks — as well as an explosion earlier this week elsewhere in Catalonia — were connected and the work of a large terrorist group. Three people were arrested, but the driver of the van used in the Barcelona attack remained at large and the manhunt intensified for the perpetrators of the latest European rampage claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

The Reuters news agency reports, citing an unnamed judicial source, authorities investigating both attacks believe there may have been a cell of eight people involved, and that the group planned to use butane gas canisters.

Authorities were still reeling from Thursday’s Barcelona attack when police in the popular seaside town of Cambrils, about 130 kilometers and nearly 80 miles, to the south, fatally shot five people near the town’s boardwalk who had plowed into a group of tourists and locals with their blue Audi 3. Six people, including a police officer, were injured, though it wasn’t clear how badly.

Catalonia’s interior minister, Joaquim Forn, told Onda Cero radio that the five suspects killed in a subsequent shootout with police were wearing fake bomb belts.

“They were fakes, but very well made, and it wasn’t until the bomb squad carried out the controlled explosion of one that they could determine they were fakes,” he said.

The Audi and a damaged police car were towed from the scene Friday.

The Cambrils attack came hours after a white van veered onto Barcelona’s picturesque Las Ramblas promenade and mowed down pedestrians, zig-zagging down the strip packed with locals and tourists from around the world.

*READ MORE AT CBSNEWS.COM*


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fRddg7


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uOGbnC


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fRoE7r


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uP9t5m


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2icX19Y


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v01YES


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vNoCTT


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ifAFER


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vNDRw5


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2igNper


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v137Mx


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vNdg26


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v127YG


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2x0RTc4


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fVf7wm


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wrGjJh


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wcLf59


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v33Rk0


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wl6baA


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v32Ybp


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ij92L8


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vdDaZy


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vUNiIu


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wlDp9S

Jaylon Smith Makes First NFL Tackle

ARLINGTON (105.3 The Fan) – Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith returned to game action for the first time in nearly two years on Saturday night.

from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uTTdAb


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wsFXCe


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2xfbu7H


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v2Jy6B


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fWk6Ne


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uUISEk


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vUAQsb


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wlzDx5

Fort Worth Sexual Assault Suspect Turns Self In To Police

fw Fort Worth Sexual Assault Suspect Turns Self In To Police

Fort Worth police arrested a man in a sexual assault case. (Credit: Fort Worth PD)

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Police say a man who they say attacked and sexually assaulted a woman in downtown Fort Worth turned himself in on Saturday.

Police identified the suspect as 22-year-old Trealon Clark.

The attack happened shortly before 3 a.m. on the sidewalk near a local club in Fort Worth on Sunday, August 6.


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uTu1d6


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v2maWH


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wl65je


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v2Xxct


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fVS3xu


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uUXvr5


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vU93by


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wlimEl

Suspect In Killings Of 2 Florida Officers Arrested At Bar

florida Suspect In Killings Of 2 Florida Officers Arrested At Bar

Officer Matthew Baxter (L) and Sgt. Sam Howard ® (Courtesy: Kissimmee Police Department)

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — A police officer in Florida died from his injuries Saturday, a day after his colleague was killed when a suspect fired at them during a scuffle while they were on patrol. The suspect was later arrested at a bar.

Sgt. Sam Howard died Saturday afternoon at a hospital where he had been taken following Friday night’s attack in Kissimmee, Florida, located south of the theme park hub of Orlando.

Officer Matthew Baxter died Friday night, a short time after authorities say he was shot by 45-year-old Everett Miller.

Miller faces a charge of first-degree murder for the killing of Baxter. Authorities hadn’t yet said what charges he could face for Howard’s death.

During a patrol late Friday of a neighborhood with a history of drug activity, Baxter was “checking out” three people, including Miller, when the officer got into a scuffle with Miller. Howard, his sergeant, responded as backup, said Kissimmee Police Chief Jeff O’Dell.

The officers didn’t have an opportunity to return fire. They weren’t wearing body cameras.

Sheriff’s deputies with a neighboring law enforcement agency later tracked Miller down to a bar and approached him. Miller started reaching toward his waistband when the deputies tackled and subdued him, O’Dell said.

They found a handgun and revolver on him.

“They were extremely brave and heroic actions taken by the deputies,” O’Dell said.

The police chief said Miller was taken to jail wearing Baxter’s handcuffs.

Authorities originally said they believed there were four suspects, but the chief said Saturday that no other arrests are anticipated.

Miller, 45, was a Marine veteran and was recently involuntarily committed for a mental evaluation by the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office. The early stages of the investigation shows that Miller had made threats to law enforcement on Facebook, O’Dell said.

Baxter, 27, had been with the Kissimmee Police Department for three years. He was married to another Kissimmee police officer and they have four children.

Howard, 36, has served with the Kissimmee Police Department for 10 years. He and his wife have one child, O’Dell said.

“They are two wonderful men, family men,” O’Dell said. “They are two committed to doing it the right way.”

Separately, two other officers were injured late Friday in Jacksonville, Florida, after police responded to reports of an attempted suicide at a home where the mother of the man’s child, their 19-month-old toddler, the woman’s mother and a family friend were thought to be in danger. One of the officers was shot in both hands and the other was shot in the stomach.

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said Saturday that officers Michael Fox and Kevin Jarrell are in stable condition following Friday night’s confrontation with an armed Derrick Brabham, who was killed by the officers.

In Pennsylvania, two state troopers were shot and a suspect killed outside a small-town store south of Pittsburgh on Friday night.

In a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama, a suspect was fatally shot and an officer injured after they got into a struggle.

President Trump tweeted early Saturday that his thoughts and prayers were with the Kissimmee Police Department. “We are with you!” he said.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott tweeted he was “heartbroken” by the attacks on the officers.

U.S. Rep. Darren Soto said Saturday that he will ask for American flags to be flown over the U.S. Capitol and he plans to ask for a moment of silence on the floor of the U.S. House to honor the officers.

The officers were fatally shot in a district where the top prosecutor says she will no longer seek the death penalty. State Attorney Aramis Ayala announced earlier this year that she wouldn’t seek the death penalty, explaining it’s not a deterrent and it drags on for years for the victims’ relatives. The announcement came as her office was building a case against Markeith Loyd, who is charged with the fatal shooting of an Orlando Police lieutenant.

A spokeswoman for Ayala didn’t respond to an email inquiry seeking comment.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vT2xl4


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uTzrVG


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wsrRAG


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2xf5MCT


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v2RNj0


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ihLne1


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vdN3q5


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vUoyQH


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wlDNVB

Solar Eclipse Could Cost Employers Big Bucks

(CBSNEWS) – Monday won’t be business as usual for employers, thanks to a very cosmic event.

The first solar eclipse visible in the U.S. since 1979 will take place in the middle of the workday, which may cost employers as much as $694 million in lost productivity, according to global outplacement and coaching firm Challenger, Grey & Christmas, which analyzed wage and employment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

States and cities in the path of the eclipse, which stretches from Oregon to South Carolina, could suffer productivity losses of almost $200 million. Experts are warning businesses to expect increased absenteeism as millions of people are projected to travel to see the eclipse or take a break from work, which will cause productivity to plummet.

Even companies located in areas with a partial eclipse may have a “manic Monday.” Challenger, Grey estimates that the eclipse will cost the Chicago area $28 million, for example. Experts are encouraging employers to make the best of the situation by holding viewing parties and other team-building activities.

*READ MORE AT CBSNEWS.COM*


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ieQc7F


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v0aCDs


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vM8cuO


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2if7Rfn


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vMXWmg


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ifTgAD


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v137fv


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vMJM4m


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v1ic0D


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2x0CpEZ


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fTCh6o


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vSVUiE


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wrUDkV


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wdrB9a


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uTp6Jl


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wsVVw8


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2xfsGKB


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v3MM9Z

Mazara Homers, Drives In 5 As Rangers Top White Sox 9-8

ARLINGTON (AP) — Nomar Mazara keeps driving in runs, and it’s helping the Texas Rangers climb in the AL wild-card race.

Mazara had five RBIs, including a tiebreaking three-run homer in the fifth inning, and the Rangers held on to beat the Chicago White Sox 9-8 on Thursday night.

The Rangers (60-60) reached .500 for the first time since July 15 with their fourth straight win and seventh in eight games. The defending AL West champs, out of the division race behind Houston, pulled 1 ½ games behind the idle Los Angeles Angels for the AL’s second wild card.

“I trust what I got and the team’s been rolling right now,” said Mazara, who has 25 RBIs in his past 19 games and 82 for the season. “We’re putting a lot of good at-bats together. When I go up to the plate I don’t try to do too much, stay as calm as possible.”

Mazara’s 16th home run capped the Rangers’ second four-run inning, which included two injury replacements on the mound for the White Sox in their fifth straight loss. Chicago, carrying the AL’s worst record, dropped to 7-24 since the All-Star break.

The White Sox twice pulled within a run late after trailing 8-5, including in the ninth on Jose Abreu’s 23rd homer, a solo shot. But Alex Claudio finished a two-inning save for the left-hander’s sixth of the season.

Chris Beck replaced starter Reynaldo Lopez in the fifth and took a sharp comebacker from Adrian Beltre off the back of his right shoulder. The right-hander stayed in the game without getting checked and allowed Mazara’s high drive to right-center.

After a trainer finally came out, Beck exited with a right shoulder bruise. Lopez (0-1) was removed because of soreness on his right side in his second start since coming up from the minors.

“There was no visible marks,” manager Rick Renteria said of Beck. “According to him it just scraped him. He didn’t feel like it got him. But we weren’t going to take a chance. That area is not where you want to take a chance.”

Austin Bibens-Dirkx (4-2) retired all five batters he faced after starter Tyson Ross walked a season-high six and allowed five runs in 4 1/3 innings. Chicago pitchers walked a season-high nine.

Rangers backup catcher Brett Nicholas had his second homer in two starts, a two-run shot in the third, and a bases-loaded walk in the seventh. Mazara had a two-run single later in the third. He finished one RBI shy of his career high.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fT2fqq


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wqtlLS


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vMBObr


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fTFtPi


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vMTWSA


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fU446B


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wr1Hi3


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vN8f9V


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v1sspo


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vNwUep


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2fUPv2I


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wcnMAY


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v1F4gj


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2vSy3jf


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2uU92XP


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v2CGGi


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wl2gKI


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wu33Z0

Duke University Removes Damaged Robert E. Lee Statue

gettyimages 833799578 e1503170480661 Duke University Removes Damaged Robert E. Lee Statue

A statue on the portal of Duke University Chapel bearing the likeness of Confederate General Robert E. Lee was vandalizedon early August 17, 2017 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo by Sara D. Davis/Getty Images)

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Duke University removed a statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee early Saturday after it was vandalized amid a national debate about monuments to the Confederacy.

The university said it removed the carved limestone likeness before dawn from the entryway to Duke Chapel, where it stood among 10 historical figures. Officials discovered early Thursday that the statue’s face had been gouged and scarred and that part of the nose is missing.

Another statue of Lee, the top Confederate general during the Civil War, was the focus of the violent protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, that turned deadly a week ago.

Duke University president Vincent Price said in a letter to the campus community that he consulted with faculty, staff, students and alumni before deciding to remove the statue.

“I took this course of action to protect Duke Chapel, to ensure the vital safety of students and community members who worship there, and above all to express the deep and abiding values of our university,” Price said in the letter.

Durham has been a focal point in the debate over Confederate statues after protesters tore down a bronze Confederate soldier in front of a government building downtown on Monday. Eight people face charges including rioting and damaging property. Days later, hundreds marched through Durham in a largely peaceful demonstration against racism before an impromptu rally at the stone pedestal where the statue stood.

Other monuments around North Carolina also have been vandalized since the Charlottesville protest, and calls are growing to take down a Confederate soldier statue from the campus of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

Gov. Roy Cooper has urged the removal of Confederate monuments from public property around the state, though his goal would be difficult to achieve because of a 2015 state law prohibits their removal. Duke is a private university and outside the scope of that law.

The Lee statue had stood for about 85 years between two other historical figures of the American South, Thomas Jefferson and poet Sidney Lanier, along the main entryway to the neo-Gothic church at the center of Duke’s campus. It was moved into storage at 3 a.m. Saturday and its future is undetermined, university spokesman Michael Schoenfeld told the Herald-Sun of Durham.

“We want people to learn from it and study it and the ideas it represents. What happens to it and where it will be is a question for further deliberation,” Schoenfeld said. The decision was supported by the university’s trustees, Schoenfeld said.

Duke has been affiliated since its founding with the United Methodist Church. Luke Powery, dean of Duke Chapel, said Saturday he sees the empty space formerly occupied by the Lee statue as creating a new opportunity to heal the ongoing racism problems confronting the country.

The gap “in many ways represents a hole in the heart of the United States and the ongoing struggles of racism, hatred and bigotry – all the things we’re seeing in our streets. We haven’t come as far as perhaps we thought we had come as a nation,” Powery said.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wrLSYk


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wd3d7p


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2wsZvpW


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2xeWXJr


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v3nFnq